RFC: Put notifications in sidepanel like widget explorer

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Feb 23 10:55:14 UTC 2016

On Montag, 22. Februar 2016 21:05:06 CET Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 22 February 2016 18:39:02 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> > > changes, so when the default systray will be changed to the new
> > > implementation in 5.7 it will look as near ar possible to the current
> > > one,
> > > with any UI changes for 5.8)
> >
> > Why is that? To prevent the introduction of bugs?
>
> yes, that's what unfortunately too many years of experience told me.
>
> the first time you introduce something with a new technology, it will
> introduce regressions no matter what. People are in general resistent to UI
> changes as well.
> technology changes + regressions + a different, unfamiliar ui is the sure
> recipe to make users hate the whole thing and have the next neponadi (and
> boy plasma had to work hard to get out of that after KDE 4.0, and we are
> still on the recovery phase)

It wouldn't be that much of a "new, unfamiliar UI". The interaction is still
the same, so users do not have to adapt their workflow at all. We could also
blog about the idea and see how people react to it before implementing it.

On the other hand, it's your call, anyway, of course. As long as you don't
have put a lot of work into making it look exactly like before, only to change
that in the next release, there isn't really a downside in postponing the
layout change until 5.8.