RFC: Put notifications in sidepanel like widget explorer

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 12:50:15 UTC 2016

On Monday 22 February 2016, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > What I am hell-bent on, though, is not confining popups whose content are
> > lists  to a really small vertical space. You want UIs to feel less
> > cluttered? Then having them cramped in a small-fixed size popup is
> > certainly not the way to go.
> >
> > Contact list, NM, Klipper, they would all greatly benefit from having
> > more vertical space.
> > If we find a way to give them that which is not a sidebar, then I'm fine
> > with  that as well.
>
> We could also make the systemtray popup a little larger?

idea: putting the tabbar that is now on the side at the bottom (and have the
systray large enough, or vertical but bottom-aligned may be enough)
and then make the popup height adjust to the preferred size of the current
applet (thing that it would have to export, so applets would have to be fixed
by hand, sor instance having in their FullRepresentation root a
Layout.preferredHeight the height of the whole flickable contents)

then the popup resize/move could be managed with the new morphingpopups
effect.

maybe it would still look a bit too much "dancing" but would still give enough
breathing space for each applet, and wouldn't have the overwhelming
"everything at once" feel

--
Marco Martin