RFC: Put notifications in sidepanel like widget explorer

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 10:28:27 UTC 2016

On Thursday 18 February 2016 02:03:08 Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:
> The thing is: When you open the popup, your attention is focused on it,
> anyway, regardless of its size. It would feel clunky if we opened it with a
> long animation like we still do far too often in Plasma, but if it opened
> and closed quickly enough, I'm convinced that the benefit of not having to
> scroll so much would outweigh the "cost" of it covering more of the screen
> which you don't have your attention on anyway.

I don't think the cost is much the increased screen usage.
I think the major cost is having the overwhelm of all the information at once
fitted in that sidebar.

We can have 2 scenarios:
a) all the information  at once (ie all plasmoids open in the side panel: it
would be cluttered beyond imaginable (and no, you can't control too much
what's inside the single modules so if one goes this way it *will* be an
information orgy, no mattter how hard you try to impose design on the single
modules)

b) all possible thing still by itself, tabbed interface or whatever, so
notifications alone, networkmanager alone etc. in most cases the sidebar will
be a desolation of emptyness (with possible increased mouse travel distance
even)

Note that since I'm rewriting the systray from scratch, I'm quite affected by
wether the decision is, I need to take the "proper" architecture, I don't want
to rewrite it a 3rd time that's for sure!

--
Marco Martin