RFC: plasma logo as start menu icon and ksplash logo

Jens Reuterberg jensreu at kolabnow.com
Sat Feb 13 11:47:42 UTC 2016

As the one responsible for the logo work (since Uri who made that and other
bits is in the VDG) I should probably shime in here.

The three dots and the arrow is simply because of the connections to the K
logo. The reasoning for it is to make it flexible (do note that we came in
blind into this, so creating something for the future, when the future wasn't
clear was simply a bit tricky)

What that means is that it needs to be distinguishable from the K logo (since
that was one of the brief points we where given: "Plasma != KDE" while still
being reminiscent of that). Also it needs to be so simplistic and "empty" as
it possibly can to be able to be filled with meaning at a later point depending
on needs.
It has to be recognizable so it had to be unique enough that you could take
parts and shapes of it and reuse them while still being easily connected to
Plasma. The arrow and the three dots where in my professional opinion the best
choice as a good mix between "recognizable while still being abstract",
"looking sorta like the K but not so it connects up to the K" and "flexible"

What IS relevant though is that since our brand presence isn't all that grand
(web presence is still stuck on KDE 4.x fortt example) the usage of it simply
isn't there yet and the possability to push it out isn't as much available.

So what I think is: We should push for that logo more, instead of slapping
together something new... again... still following that brief (OR we get
people to give us a NEW brief). We do need to be pushier and change our
webpresence quicker, be more aggressive in our communication etc.

Also "New challenge: Show off the flexibility of the Plasma logo and use it in
a way  that Dirk will like and fall in love with it" - Challenge accepted. :)