ActionButton mouse area issue

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Thu Feb 11 19:23:34 UTC 2016

On Thu, Feb 11, 2016 at 12:01:54PM +0100, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 February 2016 10:48:18 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > > 2) Humans' first reaction to change is always hostility (unless they are
> > > disciples of the Cult of Apple, that is).
> >
> > True. That said, I have now tried to use this for several weeks (after our
> > first conversation about this which lead me to re-enable things). And I'll
> > tell you honestly that I'm still not sold on it.
>
> I did a quick and dirty experiment for an alternative in a branch:
>
> same repo, mart/drawerHandles branch, all should be compatible.
> the action button is there only when an action is assigned (i.e. Edit in dive
> details) otherwise is invisible
> two little handles peek at the side of the screen.
> stuff in the bottom area is still usable even tough is still advise for
> flickables (such as Listview) to have a bottom margin set
>
> can it be tested on that branch and see how users react?

OK, I played with this. I have a few ideas how to make things better and
increase the likelihood that people enjoy this version:

- make the handles see through so they don't completely obscure what's
  behind
- only show them if there is a menu (we currently don't have a context
  menu, but the right handle still shows up

Somewhat unrelated... the issue with the content "behind" the handles and
the ActionButton. I hate the idea of having a margin at the bottom (that
basically creates another menu bar that isn't usable for the content of my
app screen. But what would be neat is a way to "pull up" what's behind
there. So be able to scroll one icon height beyond the end of a
ScrollView. Not sure if that is possible, but it would solve my biggest
concern with the fundamental design idea that I see here with the yet to
be renamed mobile components.

/D