ActionButton mouse area issue

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Feb 9 13:56:53 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 12:06:37PM +0100, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Monday 08 February 2016 11:48:24 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> > I'm running into a pretty significant issues with the ActionButton:
> >
> > Its MouseArea has an implicitWidth of parent.width. Which means that my page
> > will not receive any clicks at all in the horizontal band that includes the
> > ActionButton - so if the ActionButton "floats" above a ListView, the bottom
> > most entry in the ListView cannot be selected (unless it happens to be
> > taller than the icon size).
> >
> > The issue appears to be that onClicked ALWAYS accepts the event. Even though
> > the onClicked code simply returns if the click wasn't on the button (the
> > math for that was just recently fixed) - the ListView "behind" never
> > receives a click.
>
> hmm, a problem is that from some user testing, it seems that users expect to
> be able to drag that button from any place in the whole bottom strip, rather
> than interact with the contents behind the button.
> Thomas may explain this better

Visually I don't get that. There is a button. It's small, it's round.
Why would this be the only button in a UI that responds to a click
anywhere in the horizontal stripe that extends on both sides of it?

But that's neither here nor there because there's the code in onClicked
that carefully makes sure that even though the button LOOKS like it
responds to the click (and prevents anything else from getting that
click), it still doesn't ACT on that click and simply returns.

Sorry, that's just broken.

/D