RFC: plasma logo as start menu icon and ksplash logo

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Wed Feb 3 17:10:06 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 05:48:40PM +0100, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 February 2016 16:24:10 David Edmundson wrote:
> > If you mean this one?
> > https://dot.kde.org/sites/dot.kde.org/files/plasma-mobile-logo.png
> > Sure.
> >
> > Anything more radical I'm against as it breaks not only our current
> > branding, but all screenshot based tutorials.
>
> the current one is more like
> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jwBzU1YZWLI/U8U2E1nDM8I/AAAAAAAAmfY/jDbBMq9GkP4/s1600/plasma-5-banner.png

As someone with a more "outside" perspective... boy that one is ugly. And
really doesn't provide a lot of "recognizability". I'm running Plasma on
ArchLinux and I see the "K in the gear" logo in the bottom left corner of
my screen; replacing this with the three different sized, oddly spaced
dots and the '>' symbol? Doesn't sound like an improvement in branding to
me.

And if I go to https://www.kde.org/workspaces/plasmadesktop/ I don't see a
consistent brand identity at all. The logo you mention here isn't even on
that site.

My 2ยข would be to come up with a strong logo that is simple and provides a
good connection to Plasma as a brand and then use that consistently
everywhere. But you first need the artwork.

/D