[KWin Question] - KWin authorize external docks to manipulate tasks and windows

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 17:47:49 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

as it appears, in the following versions of Now Dock the dock will try
to live outside plasmashell as a standalone separate executable. It will
still use all plasma technologies from frameworks etc. but there is an
issue with that design decision change as the plasma developers informed me.

In wayland world only the plasmashell executable gains access through
kwayland to manipulate tasks, get information about the windows and even
move its own window.

I would like to ask you what are the policies and guidelines in order
for another executable to gain such access. This is the case of course
for all docks living outside plasmashell.

thanks a lot for your time.

regards,

michail