Is it possible to add a different panel implementation for plasma?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 12:25:12 UTC 2016

On 19/12/2016 11:43 πμ, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Saturday 17 December 2016, Michail Vourlakos wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>

>> do you know if it is possible to add a different panel implementation in
>> plasma and provide me with some guidelines for this?
>>
>> The use case is the Now Dock for which I want to provide a unified
>> settings experience, (plasma settings and now docks settings)
> isn't NowDock its own custompanel already?

no it isnt...
Do you know a way to create my own panelview for plasmashell? (this is
what I mean by custompanel)

Current Implementation:
in metadata.desktop it is set:
X-Plasma-ContainmentType=Panel   //not CustomPanel

NowDock uses qml in order to provide a different layout than the default
one but the configuration settings from plasma are still there

Future Implementation:
either a way will be found for the above to be implemented or I will
have to implement my own corona and panel containments in a different
executable than plasmashell. This solution has its benefits and its cons
also...