[KWin - Dock Question] - How to hide a window from PresentWindows effect?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Dec 8 20:35:04 UTC 2016

Am 2016-12-08 20:28, schrieb Michail Vourlakos:
> On 08/12/2016 09:09 μμ, Martin Graesslin wrote:
>> In the case of the XCB Qt plugin the ordering of the calls is
>> important. You
>> need to set such flags before the window is created. Calls to
>> KWindowSystem can
>> destroy it again.
>>
>> If you want to check how it's done: look at the Plasma::Dialog class
>> which
>> supports a no input mode for the OSD.
> can you please point me more precisely in this code please? where is
> the Plasma:Dialog c++ code?

https://cgit.kde.org/plasma-framework.git/tree/src/plasmaquick/dialog.cpp

the property in question is outputOnly. But it looks like that's only
using an input shape which might (?) not help you.

>>>   >     m_dockWindow->setFlags(Qt::WindowDoesNotAcceptFocus |
>>>
>>> Qt::FramelessWindowHint);
>>>
>>> Is there a way if I set my dock with:
>>>   >     KWindowSystem::setType(m_dockWindow->winId(), NET::Dock);
>>>
>>> to be able to lower it afterwards?
>> What do you mean with "lower it"?
>
> If I set :
>
> KWindowSystem::setType(m_dockWindow->winId(), NET::Dock);
>
> my dock is always on top and I can never lower it below normal
> windows..

Well yes, that's the idea of a Dock. Of course it's on top of all
windows. If you don't want that, don't use a dock.

On X11 KWin supports windows can cover through having a dock set to keep
below. But that won't work on Wayland and thus I heavily recommend
against it.

Cheers
Martin