[KWin - Dock Question] - How to hide a window from PresentWindows effect?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 17:17:31 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

in NowDock I have managed to subclass a QuickWindow in order to provide
masking and various visibility states for the dock.

In all the visibility states I am setting for this subclassed window:

m_dockWindow->setFlags(Qt::FramelessWindowHint|Qt::WindowDoesNotAcceptFocus);
     KWindowSystem::setState(m_dockWindow->winId(), NET::SkipTaskbar |
NET::SkipPager);

but even though the above code enables me to make my dock ontop or
onbottom when I need it, it doesnt hide my dock from the "present
windows effect" and from the "Alt+Tab". I tried to use:

KWindowSystem::setType(m_dockWindow->winId(), NET::Dock);

m_dockWindow->setFlags(m_dockWindow->flags() ^ (Qt::WindowStaysOnTopHint));

but it didnt help, the dock is still shown in the window effects....

I also tried:

     KWindowSystem::setType(m_dockWindow->winId(), NET::Dock);

but even though this hides my dock from the kwin effects it also makes
my dock "always on top" and I dont want this in most of my visibility
states...

any ideas?

regards,

michail