Selecting a Plasma logo

Jens Reuterberg jensreu at kolabnow.com
Wed Dec 7 12:58:34 UTC 2016

About half a year ago this thread started and so far no actual change has
happened.

The background is that the past logo for Plasma Desktop was disagreed upon by
the Plasma developer team and they wanted a new one. Thomas created a
competition of sorts which had a lot of suggestions in it.

Currently, no final decision has been made on this which leaves us with three
1) VDG decides.
2) The developers decide
3) We use the KDE logo

Now

#1 means that we with a high level of chance will go to the Plasma logo we had
before this started. There is zero criticism against it that has been valid
except that the developers who didn't like it in the first place didn't like
it. Which is relevant of course.
#2 means this thread needs a choice. This WILL NOT continue in any structured
form where people are egged on to make "suggestions" and then a round table
debate. It has taken work time from VDG contributors, caused meaningless
arguments and bikeshedding and has been the kind of work we can all see will
never end. I honestly regret not having the courage to say "No" when it was
first debated.
(if some designer wants to work with the Plasma Developers on this, go for it,
no one will stop you of course. But the VDG will not supply designers to this
task formally or make any further efforts which has been so far a half a year
of throwing manhours into a pit)
#3 Means that we take the work on seperating KDE the community from Plasma the
desktop and pretend it didn't happen. Which sounds dramatic but its
essentially leaving it as a status quo.

Now this is Open Source and KDE, none of us have the right to dictate to
others what to do with their spare time.
But as a designer I can assure you that what we are doing with this is wasting
our collective time.
There is NO perfect solution. No perfect logo for a project which out of the
blue will summarize everyones expectations and hopes. Nothing that can't be
shredded in a round session of bikeshedding and "uhms" and "ehrs". There will
never be a choice made.
The reason why the old icon was the one we stuck with has parts to do with no
one actually speaking up at the time when it was thrown in there. But that is
not relevant.
It is good because it is different from the K, clearly different. It is good
because it played on the shape of the cashew symbol but using the design
guides formed in the beginning of Plasma 5. It is good because it is so
absolutely abstract as to not clash with any other symbolism out there. It is
a blank slate to be loaded with meaning instead of an heraldic symbol where
the meaning and statements we feel we are part of need to be presented.
This is also BAD as it needs to be used and reused to gain meaning. If we
don't use it it is JUST a bit of abstract scribble.

None of this means that the suggestions in the thread Thomas posted are bad,
or worse than, or subpar or anything. It just means that if the choice was
mine - if we where picking one thing to present to a client in a professional
setting. I would pick the original logo without a second hesitation.

Unless something is posted here my assumption is that the design decision is
up to the KDE Design Group/VDG and we will choose, reply and move on with this
and our lives.