KDE 4 vs 5, regional settings and dolphin

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 10:48:33 UTC 2016

Christoph Feck wrote:

> On 04.12.2016 11:17, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
>> Under KDE4, the translations KCM had detailed settings for just about every
>> aspect
>
> See bug 340982.

Thanks, I suppose I could have found that ticket myself ...

> customizations, but progress is slow, so no code has surfaced. Help
> surely is appreciated to implement the current vision described at
> https://wiki.qt.io/Locale_Support_in_Qt_5

That vision is a bit (very) long and at first glance consists more of still open
questions than something that only lacks a few helping hands to start landing as
a solution.

I've added a comment to the BKO ticket. The urgency is clearly different for
KF5/Plasma5 than it is for other platforms which does raise the question to what
extent QtCore::QLocale will ever provide all the functionality that KLocale
apparently provided. It'll probably be more efficient to refactor the old KLocale
on top of QLocale and implement the missing functionality as a hopefully quite
simple Tier1 framework which may start loosing its interest by the time Qt 5.9
comes out ...

R.