[Differential] [Commented On] D2584: Introduce a config option whether applications are allowed to block compositing

colomar (Thomas Pfeiffer) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Aug 26 14:33:28 UTC 2016

colomar added a comment.

  Actually, I'm not really convinced of this. Blocking compositing is done via an official, cross-desktop API, isn't it? It's not a KWin-specific feature, right?
  If so, then KWin should not go alone in offering this config option. If I'm an application developer and have set my application to block compositing, I'd expect that to be respected. If most compositors always respect it, but for one compositor, it depends on a user setting, this introduces another layer of complexity for application developers.
  Knowing our users, some of them will turn this off, knowing it will impact performance, but will then still go ahead and file bug reports about a game being too slow, or whatever happening because the game developer just expected blocking compositing to work, but for those users, it doesn't.

  If it's made configurable in all major compositors, then application developers at least know that they cannot expect blocking compositing to work. If we're the only ones allowing to configure it, it will get messy.

REPOSITORY
  rKWIN KWin

EMAIL PREFERENCES