Selecting a Plasma logo

Ken Vermette vermette at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 14:31:15 UTC 2016

I don't mean to be "that guy", but he submitted his logo under the LGPLv3,
signalling that everyone has the right to modify his work. I'm not saying
this because I have a horse in this race, I'm saying it because, frankly,
the idea that we "aren't allowed" to collaborate and remix artwork in an
open-source project is extremely distasteful to our core values... The idea
that we would be beholden to a single author for every tweak is ridiculous.

Even then, the "rule" in the original thread causing this mess wasn't even
about permission - it was about "originality". If we blindly followed the
rule to the letter no collaborative or derivative effort by anyone is
allowed - which is Monty Python levels of ridiculous.

With all due respect to Anditosan, I think he created a great starting
point, but the idea that he would stint not just my remix but the work of
others is disappointing - as a member of the VDG I would have hoped he
would have actively encouraged collaboration and community values...
Barring that, however, I don't believe we aren't beholden to his will on
this, by posting his work in that thread he submitted it for modification
and re-use under a permissive licence. No matter if the logo derived from
his work, my work, or anyone else's we should simply choose the best logo
instead of settling because someone in the chain doesn't want their work
touched.