Selecting a Plasma logo

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Aug 2 12:11:25 UTC 2016

On 01.08.2016 15:11, Thomas Pfeiffer wrote:

> So, it looks like there are two variants which people are quite fond of,
> Ken's modifications of Andy's logo (his fourth), and of Alex's logo (his second).
>
> The second has the advantage that it has elements of the KDE logo in it and
> can therefore be associated with KDE most easily,
> whereas the fourth has a clearer association with a sun, and its simplicity
> allows for easy adaptation for different contexts while keeping its identity
> easily recognizable.
>
> The disadvantages of the second one are that the gears become a bit muddled
> in small sizes and it resembles the gear which is often used as a settings icon,
> the disadvantage of the fourth is that it vaguely resembles a speech bubble,
> reminding some people of an IM application logo.
>
> The VDG clearly favors Anditosan's logo, so Ken's fourth (which fixes the
> problem of being too "generic" as some of the Plasma team members
> feared) looks like the one which would sit best with both the VDG and the
> Plasma team.
>
> Therefore I'd like to propose to go with Ken's modification of Andy's logo
> (perhaps with one more round of fine-tuning by the VDG before shipping it).
> Are there any objections to that?

We've just learned that Anditosan does want to see modifications of his logo in
the contest. He is open to modifying his logo after the contest if needed, but
he'd prefer to modify it himself instead of others creating mashups.

Therefore, Ken's modification (i.e. his fourth) is out of the question for now.

So either we take Andy's original logo (without the > ) and ask for
modifications in a second iteration afterwards, or we have to take something not
based on his logo (for example Ken's second).

What will it be, then?