Come test Mumble for meetings

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Tue Aug 2 00:47:45 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 1, 2016 at 2:28 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> We're testing Mumble for meetings today.  It's an app you need to
> install then set up then connect to server weegie.edinburghlinux.co.uk
>  then you can talk to me or whoever is around
>
> It's reliable for audio when I've used it but the setup is a bit of
> faff and there's no video.
>
> Please try it and ponder if we should use it for meetings compared to
> the problematic web video conferences

We've been using mumble for KDE EspaƱa meetings for years. It works
well and often reliably. The problems I see are:
* requires people to install software. It can sound trivial (we have
an awesome software center, right? right?) but sometimes you want to
tell someone to join for one meeting and then they need to configure
it. If it doesn't work, it feels like it's your fault.
* noise cancelling isn't working well. you need to suggest people to
use headphones or push-to-talk. Some people always forget these.

What's worked well for me in the past has been: https://opentokrtc.com/
They had some hiccups lately but seems like they recovered.

Always together with a shared etherpad (notes.kde.org).

HTH,
Aleix