Plasma 5.8 and openSUSE 42.2

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Aug 1 06:04:56 UTC 2016

On Thursday, July 28, 2016 10:11:56 AM CEST Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 03:56:21PM +0200, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> > This mean bringing forward some kde release dates and postponing some
> > opensuse pre-releases to make everything fit tightly.
> >
> > 2016-09-01: openSUSE 42.2 Beta 1 (this would include the last Plasma
> > release available at that time, 5.7.4 or 5.7.5)
> > 2016-09-08: Plasma 5.8 Repo Freeze (last day of Akademy, maybe that
> > could be moved to freeze the repo just before QtCon?)
> > 2016-09-15: Plasma 5.7.95 LTS (aka 5.8.0 Beta)
>
> So Repo freeze a week earlier (during Akademy) then beta and
> everything else following two weeks earlier.
>
> > So, my question is, would you agree with that? Anybody sees any problem
> > if both projects agree to those changes to their respective schedules?
>
> It takes us back to a 3 month release scheule rather than 3.5 months
> which feels a bit too short for some people.  I don't know if people
> were expecting to use that extra time for features or not.
>
> There's also the issue that if we move for one distro we'll end up
> with accusations of favouratism and requests for moving for other
> distros.  But then maybe we do like openSUSE :)

Nah, I don't think that's a problem. It's a special situation due to 5.8 being
the first LTS. We won't move the schedule for the non-LTS releases as there is
the LTS one now. Also for the next LTS one could say that distros should just
stick to the previous one.

So I consider this as a one-time thing.

Cheers
Martin