Munich Sprint

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Thu Apr 21 20:58:35 UTC 2016

On 18 April 2016 at 20:58, John Layt <jlayt at kde.org> wrote:
> That would be kprinter. Credative / Limux had a replacement for KDE4
> called kprinter4 (part of which is a poorly-attributed fork of some
> code I wrote for Okular):
>
> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KPrinter4?content=163537
> https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kprinter4.git
>
> It's in playground, been meaning to have a poke at it to see if it's
> still of any use. AFAIK though it only works on postscript files and
> relies on very old tools like poster, but it shouldn't take much to
> generalise it for all file types supported by CUPS, and to update to
> more modern PDF-based tools. Add in a Dolphin service for a context
> menu print option and it's done. Perhaps a small porting project for
> someone to bring it into Plasma5?

So I spent a couple of hours writing a new one with correct copyrights
on it, basically my Okular code ported to Qt5 and wrapped in a command
line call. Pretty basic so far but takes a filename or shows the file
dialog, then shows the print dialog, then sends it to the printer.
Lots of polishing required, Linux/CUPS only, yadda yadda, but if
there's interest I'll try finish it this weekend and put it up for
review. Any suggestions where this should live?

John.