number of columns in Kirigami

Dirk Hohndel dirk at hohndel.org
Tue Apr 19 19:19:47 UTC 2016

I finally figured out why Subsurface-mobile no longer shows multiple columns in landscape mode on the devices that I usually test on...

In commit e73c014a0 ("simplify PageRow, fix currentItem calculation") the logic for how many columns to show changed in a subtle but significant way:

-    property int defaultColumnWidth: Math.round(parent.width/(Units.gridUnit*30)) > 0 ? parent.width/Math.round(parent.width/(Units.gridUnit*30)) : width
+    property int defaultColumnWidth: Math.floor(parent.width/(Units.gridUnit*30)) > 0 ? parent.width/Math.floor(parent.width/(Units.gridUnit*30)) : width

So instead of rounding, we now always take the floor. So screens that were 45-59 gridUnits wide now no longer get two columns.
Here are the screen dimensions (in gridUnits) of some of the devices I have sitting here:

Samsung Galaxy S III: 19x32
Nexus 6p: 22x35
iPhone 6+ : 24x42
Nexus 7: 33x49
iPad 7: 43x56
iPad 4thGen: 43x56
Nexus 10: 38x67

There are some fascinating oddities in this list which tell me that device independent resolution is still a long ways away...

Nexus 6p and iPhone 6+ have very very similar screen size with the Nexus 6p just slightly bigger than the iPhone 6+, yet there's a 20% difference in "resolution independent" height (in portrait mode) between the two phones with the iPhone 6+ being seen as taller, in contrast to reality.

iPad 7 and iPad 4thGen have significantly different screen sizes (7.9" vs 9.7"), yet they have the same "resolution independent" size.

Oh, and of course this shows why Nexus 7 and both iPads used to show two columns in landscape mode but no longer do... at least the Nexus 10 still works in landscape with two columns.

Two questions

a) why that change to always rounding down, was this intentional, based on some usability analysis?
b) is this team interested in addressing the glaring problems with "resolution independent" sizing, or is this something I need to take to the Qt developers?

Thanks

/D