metadata.yaml for Plasma projects?

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Fri Apr 8 22:54:34 UTC 2016

On Donnerstag, 7. April 2016 11:41:25 CEST Martin Graesslin wrote:
> Hi Plasmates,
>
> an idea for better documentation is to introduce some metadata similar like
> what frameworks have. This could be useful for potential devs who want to
> contribute, but also for distributions as in that way:
> * we can specify whether it's experimental, released, obsoleted, etc.
> * what other Plasma projects it depends on
> * who is maintaining it and where to reach us
>
> Below I have an example how this could look like (in the case of KWin).
>
> What do you think?

Hi Martin,
I'm not the one to comment on any details, but in general, I think something
like this is not only useful, but very urgently needed!
Actually, it would not only be needed for Plasma, but for all KDE software.
And at least some of these data (e.g. whether it's experimental, whether it's
obsolete and who maintains it) should also be available at a place where code-
illiterate normal humans could read it.

For example when someone comes to the VDG forum  with (or someone from the
permanent VDG team has a) a great design idea for Plasma component X or KDE
application Y, we cannot even tell them whether the application is still
actively developed, let alone by whom.
This can lead to frustration when people discuss something very productively,
come up with a thought-through design and we have no idea what to do with it.

The bugs.kde.org component would even be very helpful for users, because it's
often very difficult to find where to report a bug (even I have to regularly ask
a developer where to report a bug, because our products are really laid out in
a very developer-centric way (what is "plasmashell" supposed to be from a
user's perspective to begin with?), not a user-centric way.

So, yes, pretty please, let's do this and become a shining example for all of
KDE!

Cheers,
Thomas