appstream in Plasma

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Fri Apr 8 21:24:17 UTC 2016

On Donnerstag, 7. April 2016 17:35:48 CEST Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > Martin's thread on metadata got me wondering about if we should have
> > appstream files in Plasma.  It would be nice to have plasma-desktop in
> > software installers for people who run another desktop and want to
> > install it.  There's also applications like system settings (which has
> > dozens of plugins), khotkeys and kinfocenter which may or may not be
> > useful for appstream.
>
> I'm at the GNOME Software hackfest right now (working mainly on
> AppStream), and we briefly discussed this: Generally, adding desktops
> to the SC isn't a great idea, because it's not really an application,
> but a system component - being able to run more desktops than one is
> more useful for distro developers and experienced users, and will be
> very confusing for regular users, which are the target audience of
> software centers.

Hi Matthias,
this is a perfect opportunity to bring this up:

GNOME actually _does_ have all of its components in AppStream. I know that
because currently in Master, Discover uses popcon data from Debian for its
popularity information, which leads to the strange situation that when I
launch discover from Plasma (without having GNOME installed at all), I see
peculiar items like GNOME System Monitor, GNOME Power Statistics or (GNOME)
Help in the list of the most popular applications.
And hey, there is also LXQt Configuration Center!
Looking for "Configuration" also gives me nice things like
- Openbox Configuration Manager
- Elementary Configuration

And finally, searching for GNOME gives me (among tons of other things, of
course):
GNOME Control Center!

Discover may have set some config parameters wrong which would hide those (if
so, would be nice to know what we'd have to change), but fact is, they're all
in there (and it must be AppStream because I have summaries and homepage URLs
and everything, and they can also be found via appstreamcli).

So, maybe this should be standardized across desktops somehow?
Cheers,
Thomas