Autologin from Settings, User Management

Marius Cirsta mforce2 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 19:02:07 UTC 2016

 Hi,

 Having just switched to Plasma 5 I went into Settings and under User
Management I enabled autologin for my user.

I discovered this wasn't working and then started User Management from
the command line and noticed an error.

 It turns out User Management is using accountsservice under the hood
and asking that software to enable autologin. The problem is that
accountsservice only has the GDM config file and even that is
hardcoded so all it can do is enable autologin for GDM.

 This wasn't a problem back in the day with KDM but now I'm not sure,
I'm using SDDM but for that the autologin from User Management does
nothing and I'm not even sure SDDM is what KDM was for KDE4 (
oficially supported )

 I see several ways of fixing this. One if to put a detection method
directly in accountsservice to see what login manager is being used
and if it's a supported one then do what's needed to enable autologin
( and add SDDM support ).

 Another way would be for KDE to detect if a known login manager like
SDDM is being used and do some work itself ( via a library ) to enable
autologin for that login manager instead of passing the taks to
accountsservice.

 What do you guys think ? In my opinion this option should be working,
at least for the most popular of oficially supported login manager
used for Plasma 5 ( SDDM ? )

 I'm willing to do some work here and submit some code, either to
accountsservice or directly in KDE.

 Thanks.