appstream in Plasma

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Thu Apr 7 15:35:48 UTC 2016

> Martin's thread on metadata got me wondering about if we should have
> appstream files in Plasma.  It would be nice to have plasma-desktop in
> software installers for people who run another desktop and want to
> install it.  There's also applications like system settings (which has
> dozens of plugins), khotkeys and kinfocenter which may or may not be
> useful for appstream.

I'm at the GNOME Software hackfest right now (working mainly on
AppStream), and we briefly discussed this: Generally, adding desktops
to the SC isn't a great idea, because it's not really an application,
but a system component - being able to run more desktops than one is
more useful for distro developers and experienced users, and will be
very confusing for regular users, which are the target audience of
software centers.

However, adding an AppStream metainfo file would be something I would
very much support! AppStream supports "generic components", so you
could just drop a file
"org.kde.plasma-desktop.metainfo.xml" containing
<component>
  <name>Plasma Desktop</name>
  <summary>....</summary>
  ... (etc)

which describes the Plasma Desktop. Software centers like Discover or
GNOME Software will not show that, but users can find it with
appstreamcli and would be able to install it using "appstreamcli
install org.kde.plasma-desktop".

So: More metadata please! (But ideally no desktops in the SC)

Cheers,
    Matthias