metadata.yaml for Plasma projects?

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Thu Apr 7 11:21:55 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 7, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi Plasmates,
>
> an idea for better documentation is to introduce some metadata similar like
> what frameworks have. This could be useful for potential devs who want to
> contribute, but also for distributions as in that way:
> * we can specify whether it's experimental, released, obsoleted, etc.
> * what other Plasma projects it depends on
> * who is maintaining it and where to reach us
>
> Below I have an example how this could look like (in the case of KWin).
>
> What do you think?
>
> Cheers
> Martin
>
> # The maintainer of the project
> maintainer: graesslin
I'd suggest offering an appstream appdata file instead of this.

> # A short description of the project
Same

> # tier 1: depends only on Qt and KDE frameworks
> # tier 2: depends only on Qt, KDE frameworks and tier 1 Plasma projects
> # tier 3: depends on Qt, KDE frameworks, tier 1, 2 and 3 Plasma projects
> tier: 3
Why?

> # Whether the project is obsoleted, if true means it's not included in future
> # releases any more
> obsoleted: false
> # Whether this is an experimental project
> experimental: false
> # Whether it's included in releases
> release: true
> # The git clone url
> git: git://anongit.kde.org/kwin
Isn't that what .git/config will be saying?
Or "git remote show origin".

> # some code review information on phabricator
> phabricator:
>     # url to the diffusion
>     diffusion: https://phabricator.kde.org/diffusion/KWIN/
>     # the review group
>     reviewer: plasma
>     # the project it belongs to
>     project: plasma

That should be part of .arcconfig.

> irc:
>     network: chat.freenode.net
>     channel: "#kwin"
> mailinglist: kwin at kde.org
> bugs:
>     url: https://bugs.kde.org
>     product: kwin
> dependencies:
>     - KWayland
>     - KDecoration
>     - KScreenLocker
That's in kde-build-metadata.

Having duplicated human-read-only information is always bad and will
only lead us to outdated information.

Aleix