Plasma-devel Digest, Vol 94, Issue 30

Chris Topel ctopel at advocap.org
Tue Apr 5 19:42:33 UTC 2016

> Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2016 12:12:28 +0200 From: Aleix Pol
> <aleixpol at kde.org> To: "plasma-devel at kde.org" <plasma-devel at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: Writing to plasma-desktop-appletsrc with init scripts.
> PM, Chris Topel <ctopel at advocap.org> wrote:
>> >Hey all,
>> >
>> >I'm having a bit of an issue trying to make something work in my
>> >environment.
>> >
>> >Basically, I want widgets to be disabled by default. But if a user chooses
>> >to do so, they can unlock the widgets and make their changes. Then, on
>> >logout, the widget will automatically be locked again for them so they don't
>> >accidentally remove it the next day.
>> >
>> >So to do that I'd like to use init scripts
>> >(/usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js) to pass
>> >something directly into plasma-desktop-appletsrc when a user first logs in.
>> >
>> >Specifically, I want to add this to the bottom of the file:
>> >
>> >[General]
>> >immutability[$i]=2
>> >
>> >This will lock widgets by default but will allow the users to unlock it
>> >(immutability=1) temporarily to add/move widgets. Then the next time they
>> >log back in it will be locked (immutability=2) again for them.
>> >
>> >So, is there some way I can easily easily set immutability[$i]=2 under the
>> >[General] section of plasma-desktop-appletsrc?
>> >
>> >Thanks in advance!
> Shouldn't it be the same making the containment itself immutable?
>
> Aleix
Aleix,

I suppose I could achieve something similar by making the "General"
containment immutable. Example:

    [General][$i]
    immutability=2

However, the only thing I'm sure that I need to be immutable under
General is the "2" value for immutability. I'm not sure what else gets
written to that containment over time and I don't have an urgent need to
lock any of it down.

Really all I'm trying to do is have widgets locked when a user logs out.
So far, setting immutability[$i]=2 is the easiest way I've found to
accomplish that.

If someone has another idea, I'm open to suggestions.