Plasma Mobile Design (a new attempt)

Valentin Rusu valir at kde.org
Wed Sep 2 11:04:47 UTC 2015

* Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com> [2015-09-01 13:40:03 -0400]:

> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 6:52 AM, Jens Reuterberg <jens at ohyran.se> wrote:
>
> > Ok so there has been a proposal for a set of Plasma Mobile HIG's and
> > designs.
> > It was sent out a while back (or so I thought because something must have
> > gone
> > weird with my email)... either way here it is again.
> >
> > The work has been done by Alex L and Andrea del Sarto (VDG's two new core
> > members and phone wizards) and is very much a work in progress and one of
> > the
> > many ideas so far. There are too many focus issues to be hammered out
> > still so
> > remember that all this is very much something that should be taken lightly
> > for
> > now.
> >

> So I'm not sure if I should be commenting on it or not, but here's my take
> on it.

Not sure about commenting it, but still, here is my feedback in Martin's
reply context.

> The task manager - I'm not entirely convinced on the idea of when you pull
> it up half-way, it stays pulled up half-way. I think that swiping from the
> bottom edge should just show the panel big enough that you can tap on it
> without needing another zoom, but if you keep swiping from bottom, it would
> switch to the previews at full. So basically three states - panel hidden,
> panel
> pulled up with normal zoom and panel morphed into previews with the panel
> shrinking down if you pull up too much but not enough to trigger the
> previews
> threshold.

I Agree with Martin here. The zoom thinks would be rather cumbersome.
Instead, having three states for this would be kool. Actually, it would
be the same as current Android notification area, which I find very
handy, where a first swipe down would bring more detail about user
already sees, the a sencond one would bring the full thing.

> Different side swiping down - at this point I already feel the edge swiping
> navigation is so overwhelming that I'm afraid to use it cause it's just too
> much gestures to learn and remember. This point I'd personally just be
> happy to leave out. Fwiw, my current phone offers so many swipe gestures
> that lots of time I'm just starring at the screen and feel lost. I'd like
> to avoid
> that with Plasma.

Side swiping could be a very neat feature on larger displays. I'd rather
keep them.

Valentin Rusu
IRC: valir