RFC: Put notifications in sidepanel like widget explorer

Alex L. alexl at openmailbox.org
Wed Oct 21 22:21:06 UTC 2015

In data martedì 20 ottobre 2015 15:54:01, Martin Klapetek ha scritto:
> Hey,
>
> today I was thinking a bit about our notification system. I believe
> that the constraints the tiny popup give us are just too limiting.
> Currently it fits about two notifications and for everything else
> one has to scroll, plus the space is really cramped for anything
> else besides the notifications themselves.
>
> So it occurred to me that we could maybe reuse the same side
> panel we use for widget explorer and activities, only coming in
> from the right side.
>
> This would give us much more space and with that many more
> possibilities, like proper grouping of notifications from different
> apps and possibly also putting /all/ notifications there again
> (I'm still against it but with that extra space, we could afford it).
>
> The floating popups would stay but would just slide from the side
> of the screen to hint that it comes from the side panel. The applet
> would stay in the tray as well, but clicking it would open that panel.
>
> Basically the idea is to reinvent the notifications in Plasma a bit
> and create a kind of notification center.
>
> My plan would be to get a VDG design and then work on it for
> Plasma 5.6.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers

Hi, I like the idea. I think the ideal is developing 2 things:
1) a button-plasmoid: the user put this plasmoid in a panel. When the user
clic on it a wide vertical panel is shown. This panel work like the plasma
panels: user can add to it all the plasmoid he wants there. Additionally the
user should be able to set a custom icon for this button-plasmoid (so he could
use more then one).
2) a notification-plasmoid that has a different look if it's added to a classic
slim horizontal  panel or to this new wide vertical panel.
So users could try these new features if they want it and provide feedbacks.
Then in future we could ship by default a 1) that show a panel with 2).

Alessandro (Alex) Longo | KDE Visual Design Group
email/xmpp: alexl at opmbx.org
IM: telegram.me/alxlg