Activity switching on window activation

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Nov 30 23:14:13 UTC 2015

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 8:20 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A long time ago, we decided that out of the following options, the
> first one was better:
>
> - (1) when a window is activated by external entity (a document opens
> in an existing kate instance that is on a different activity to the
> current one), kwin switches to the activity
> - (2) --||--, kwin moves the window to the current activity
>
> I think we should "copy" the window not move.

> I still think (1) is better than (2) and that it is a problem of
> specific applications like kate that like opening everything in the
> same window, and that those ought to be patched.

I know I'm getting a tiny bit off topic, but I just had a go at doing the
proposed kate change.

https://paste.kde.org/p4dymbtjr

It's actually surprisingly hard, this is too hacky to ever merge.

You can tell you have an instance already open, and you get told the DBus
path for that existing instance, but there's no way to tell which
activities that main window is on without then resorting to grabbing winIDs
and probing X properties.

BUT, a user made a nice point about why the current behaviour is wrong