RFC: New KWin effect for notifications

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 17:09:43 UTC 2015

The notifications animation recently regressed for some
reasons and after discussing with Martin G, he suggested
to make KWin animate the notifications.

I've considered the slide effect but it has number of short-
comings for the notifications usecase and would have to
be modified heavily to replicate the current effect.

To make sure we're on the same page, here's the effect:

https://youtu.be/_YFv3OM9vlk

So I'd like to create new KWin effect for that and quotting
Martin: "I suggest that we take a step back and evaluate
the situation and involve the Plasma dev team and the VDG
on that. It would be kind of public API (at least exposed in
KWindowSystem and KWayland) and that means we need
to put thought into the use cases."

I'd like the effect to replicate the same animations that you
can see in the video, which would make it a special effect
only for the notifications.

Can you think of other usecases that could/should be
considered for this effect? Any other input?

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer