Reminder: your window animations belong to KWin

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Nov 26 07:19:23 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, November 25, 2015 12:23:28 PM CET Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Couple questions:
>
>  - I have a QQuickWindow which, by the docs, is rendered by OpenGL.
>    Does the same assumptions hold as for animating X11 window?

Yes, it's a window. It doesn't matter how you render to the window, but that
it's a window. In general in Qt everything which in the end uses the QWindow
class (which QQuickWindow does) is an X11 window.  This includes things like
Plasma::Dialog, Tooltips, thumbnails. Everything plasma uses to render to is a
window. The only application we have which can render without windows is KWin.

Cheers
Martin