Kubuntu 15.04 Graphics Driver Issue

gokul krishna gkgokulkrishna33 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 06:50:43 UTC 2015

Hi,

I started using Kubuntu 15.04 around five months back and recently I encountered a problem when I updated my graphics driver[1]. Currently I’ve Nvidia 860M Graphics driver in my Lenovo Y50-70 laptop. I tried [2] and even tried updating and upgrading the whole system by logging in through tty1 using ' sudo apt-get update/upgrade'  using the LAN cable but then it didn’t work. The screen says blank for a long time and after that I've to forcefully turn it off. I then tried the following commands in tty1-
rm -r ~/.kde
rm -r ~/.cache
rm -r ~/.config/plasmarc and then
kbuildsycoca5

Then I tried editing the boot up option as in one of the links which was editing the ‘/etc/default/grub’ file and changed the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash nomodeset” and then saved the file and the ran ’sudo update-grub’ but still it turned out to be unsuccessful.

So the next option which I found was reinstalling the whole version but then it’d cost me a lot since I’m working on it.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1432171 <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1432171>
[2] http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2275603 <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2275603>

With Regards,
Gokul Krishna P
Blog <https://goks107.wordpress.com/> | LinkedIn <https://in.linkedin.com/pub/gokul-krishna/b9/69b/553> | Github <https://github.com/goks107>

"Simplicity, carried to the extreme, become elegance."