5.5 announcement

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Mon Nov 16 21:22:16 UTC 2015

Hi,

some thoughts (need better wording obviously :))

> The Plasma Widget explorer now supports a two column view with new widget icons for Breeze, Breeze Dark and Oxygen

Also, if I can make it on time it'll have improved support for user-installed applets (better uninstall experience with undo functionality) and filter for user-installed applets.

> User Switcher

* completely new user switcher when eg. going through kickoff → leave → switch user moving away from abusing krunner's "geeky" interface. It shows the user's full name and avatar and also respects the user's lock screen settings. (doesnt lock when switching if lock is disabled)
* lock screen user switcher has been adjusted to that too, showing user avatar etc
* new user switcher plasmoid in kdeplasma-addons listing all active sessions allowing easy switching between users. shows name in panel and also offers common (leave, lock screen) session options. Useful for shared desks.
More infos in [1].

In the "Intel GPUs" sections I would make the sub-headings smaller as with their large spacing look like they are new bullet points.

Cheers,
Kai Uwe

[1] http://blog.broulik.de/2015/10/polish-polish-polish-5-5-edition/