Planning merging the single qqml engine

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon May 18 21:30:22 UTC 2015

> The ironic thing here is that something would have to be introduced
> that will be deprecated

Not really. It would deprecate the old qml engine per plasmoid.

It is not about deprecating the opt-in thing. The ideal is to achieve
100% opt-in, that is, for all plugins to eventually get the
SingleEngine requirement.

Cheers,
Ivan

On 18 May 2015 at 22:51, Mark Gaiser <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 9:53 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Monday 18 May 2015, Mark Gaiser wrote:
>> > Anyway, with that attribute you let the applet developer OPT-IN in for
>> > shared engine. Setting that attribute can be easily forgotten. If
>> > anything,
>> > they should OPT-OUT thus by default use the shared engine.
>> > Perhaps a attribute like this is more appropriate?:
>> > X-Plasma-RequiresOwnQmlEngine=true
>> >
>> > or something alike.
>> >
>> > I'd definitely go for OPT-OUT (defaults = use shared engine).
>>
>> no, because the key here is retrocompatibility, old applets have to work
>> as
>> is.
>> it's true that this makes it error prone, but that's the ugly need :/
>> otherwise there wouldn't be any reason for supporting both modes
>

> While that - on it's own - is a very nice goal, sometimes you just have new
> developments that are clearly better and the way forward. This is one such
> case. Sure, you want to keep compatibility, but you should also strongly
> motivate those that develop applets to use the shared engine.
>
> Ivan's idea of deprecating it and clearly letting the user know might be a
> good compromise here. The ironic thing here is that something would have to
> be introduced that will be deprecated from the beginning. Something sounds
> wrong about that :)

Cheerio,
Ivan

--
While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
Dying to believe in what you heard