Plasma 5 is awesome...and some help required with build instructions

Siddhartha sh.siddhartha at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 20:19:24 UTC 2015

Hey Martin,

Thanks for all the comments :)

On 30 March 2015 at 16:11, Martin Klapetek <martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> sudo chown -R user:group /opt/kde
>
> I think this should either use $USER or `whoami` rather than "user" ?

Hmm good point. Also I learned that leaving the group empty after a
colon automatically sets it to the primary user group. Nice!

>> Uncomment the last two lines if you also want to build the Applications
>> and PIM suite.
>
> This should probably be inside the kdesrc-buildrc itself. Maybe
> it could also have a comment inside about the "make-options -j4"
> needing adjusting and possibly should be mentioned outside too.

Done.

> There's also the "ignore-kde-structure" option, should this perhaps
> be set to true by default? I honestly see a little point having that
> structure mirrored on your disk, it's just confusing and takes time
> to find anything.

I'm a bit torn over this. While you make a good usability point,
having the kde structure groups and separates the modules, thus feels
'cleaner' as compared to everything in a single folder.

However, navigating the whole structure for eg. to import a module
into kdevelop is truly time taking. Enabling it in my local config and
here too :)

> Should that be the default, then I'd also suggest to skip the
> "mkdir -p extragear/utils" in the first steps and just clone directly
> to the sources dir. It's also a bit cumbersome having to go to
> /opt/kde/sources/extragear/utils/kdesrc-build each time you want
> to rebuild things (yeah tab helps but it's still annoying).

Done

> Maaaaaybe the kdesrc-build could/should be linked to
> /opt/kde/install/bin (which is added to $PATH)?  Then
> the kdesrc-buildrc would have to be in ~/.kdesrc-buildrc I think.

Hmm. The default config also builds kdesrc-build, so its already in $PATH.
But here we first update kdesrc-build git source and then use it. Bit
better I feel. Anyways, changed the config path to ~/.kdesrc-buildrc,
so either can be used.

> Overall I feel the kdesrc-buildrc could be a bit better documented.

Now its a bit better documented. Please add anything else you feel missing :)

>> #install-session-driver true
>
> This should be removed altogether or documented why is it there.

I never used this. As we already have manual instructions, removing this.
I'll test this sometime and add it back if successful.

>> export QTDIR=/usr/lib/qt
>
> As the kdesrc-buildrc mentions that the path should be changed
> if custom qt is being build, probably it could use a comment here
> as well ("Running Plasma" section).

Done

>> You may try going back to a previous code version (git skills required),
>> or wait sometime for the developers to fix the code.
>
> "...or try helping with fixing it"? ;)

Haha. Of course :)

> Otherwise, thanks for doing that! It rocks.

Cheers!