timing of KDE5 panel in login

Takao Fujiwara tfujiwar at redhat.com
Fri Mar 27 11:53:33 UTC 2015

Thank you for forwarding the e-mail.

I try to get the desktop size from _NET_WORKAREA and _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP.

After KDE panel runs, the height of root window != the height of _NET_WORKAREA because KDE5 panel is allocated.
I wish to move my panel to (the width of root window, the height of _NET_WORKAREA)
But When I try to get the the height of _NET_WORKAREA during the login, the height of root window == the height of _NET_WORKAREA because KDE5 panel is
not allocated yet. So the position of my panel and one of the KDE panel is duplicated.

This is the expected result.

+------- plasma-desktop 5 -----+
|                              |
|                 +-----------+|
|                 | my panel  ||
|                 +-----------+|
|+----------------------------+|
||  KDE5 panel                ||
|+----------------------------+|
+------------------------------+

But actual result at login time is duplicated because KDE5 panel is not allocated:

+----------------+-----------+
|  KDE5 panel    | My panel  |

After KDE5 panel runs, my panel gets the right position because the height of _NET_WORKAREA returns the right value.

I'm finding how to listen the changes in the property.
But I don't have to listen the change in GNOME and XFCE. I can get the right value of _NET_WORKAREA at login.
I guess KDE5 panel might be slow to be launched.

Probably I can use "notify::size" signal for GtkStatusIcon to listen the panel size.
But I don't know how to get the change of the panel size in KNotifications.
I migrated GtkStatusIcon to KNotifications recently since KDE5 does not enable notification area by default.
I use both the custom panel and panel icon of KNotifications now.