Project: libmuon package install for 3rd party applications

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Mar 13 02:33:41 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 8:34 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> Aleix et al: what do you think of this?
>
> https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2015/Ideas#Project:_libmuon_package_install_for_3rd_party_applications
>
> adapting muon so its library can be used by external apps to install
> packages?

Like I told you, I think that what you're aiming to do here really is
packagekit. If you think about it, it will never be as simple as you'd
like it to be anyway. Designing API, jobs. You only want to install?
Or also delete?

As an alternative, we can work on the "muon-discover  --application
orca" use-case. It will spawn a full application, but at least the
user will be knowing what he's installing. Maybe even creating a
muon-cli, but I don't really think we want to expose API from muon.

Aleix

PS: A good GSoC would be to make sure that Appstream can finally be
adopted properly in Kubuntu