Project: libmuon package install for 3rd party applications

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Mar 12 20:00:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 08:40:46PM +0100, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> > Aleix et al: what do you think of this?
> >
> > https://community.kde.org/GSoC/2015/Ideas#Project:_libmuon_package_install_for_3rd_party_applications
> >
> > adapting muon so its library can be used by external apps to install
> > packages?
>
> What's the difference between this and the already existing
> PackageKit(-Qt) and PackageKit session interface? (and the combination
> of it with AppStream to avoid hardcoding a list of packages, as it
> seems to be the plan here (?))

Mostly it would keep Debian and Kubuntu happier who aren't great fans
of PackageKit.  Using appstream seems sensible, how do I use it to
find the name of e.g. the samba package?  The other half of the
project would be to implement this in the various places that KDE
software needs it which nobody seems to have done yet.

Jonathan