plasma wallpapers

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 12:20:35 UTC 2015

Hey,

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 3:46 PM, kainz.a <kainz.a at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi plasma developers,
>
> I'm part of the VDG and do some artwork for the Breeze icon set.
>
> Plasma 5.1 and 5.2 has a new wallpaper but only one. I would like to see
> some nice wallpapers for 5.3 in other areas.
>
> There was a nice weather wallpaper app in kde 4, I think it wasn't ported
> but for this there were never realy usefull wallpapers. In addition there
> should be also wallpapers for more categories.
>
> I ask the digikam developers cause they are the picture guys for help and
> they say ask on Google+ than you will find enough contributors, we will
> also support you.
>
> My question was:
> - Can I start a Wallpaper contest for the plasma team to have additional
> standard wallpapers in plasma 5.3.
>

> I will make an plog post, .... You can select the best images for your
> wallpaper package.

Nice initiative!

However do you know how it is with property licenses when used as
backgrounds?
I'm asking because normally when you want to give/sell a license of a photo
with
say Golden Gate Bridge, you must first seek "property release" from the
city of
San Francisco (I've heard that many places in London are actually
unlicenceable
when it comes to photos). Same goes with children or any person on photos,
there you need "model release" (ie. the person's signature that his/her
photo
can be used for various purposes).

I really don't know how is it with photos not being sold but given your
call has
"Konqi from Silicon Valley" or "City of Bangkok" or "Children wallpaper"
(not sure
if you meant actual children :), I think it's better to stay on the safe
side and specify
a bit more what the background can be than later be sued by cities and
stuff.

And finally, you do require a model/property release for anything that's
even remotely
identifiable. Basically if the person can recognize it's him/her (even if
there's just a leg
with special shoes) or if the owner of the property can recognize his/her
property,
you need a release :) See [1] for more details.

So, there's that :)

[1] -
https://iso.500px.com/10-photos-you-wouldnt-think-need-model-releases-but-do/

Cheers