Lockscreen multiscreen behavior

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Jun 17 03:30:31 UTC 2015

Am 2015-06-16 16:58, schrieb David Kahles:
> Hello,
> I want to hear some opinions about the multiscreen behavior of the
> lockscreen.
>
> Currently the lockscreen is displayed on all connected monitors. I
> would prefer if the
> lockscreen is displayed only on the primary monitor, as it's done at
> the loginscreen,
> because there is no need for multiple instances.
> I think this also matches the behavior of other operating
> systems/desktop environments.
>
> What do you think?

When we redid the lockscreen to be in QML with the lock always shown we
did it that way on purpose. The main problem is that we don't know which
screen the user is expecting it to be on. Even more we don't know
whether the primary screen is actually the user's primary screen. We
cannot expect users to configure it as they use it.

Easy example: notebook, external screen connected, internal screen is
obviously the primary screen as it's a notebook. Now user closes the
lid, screen stays configured to be on and locks the screen: at that
point user has a broken system because lock screen is not shown any
more. User might even try to hard turn off the system at that point,
because user doesn't even think of the idea the closed notebook screen
could have the locker.

So overall: if we want to be sure that users always can lock in again,
we need to show on all screens.

Cheers
Martin