Notes from Plasma BoF

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Jul 29 07:27:31 UTC 2015

Am 2015-07-29 02:39, schrieb Eike Hein:
> On 07/29/2015 02:16 AM, David Edmundson wrote:
>> Cool, ship it.
>>
>> Two things to fixup.
>
> Good catches, thanks!
>
> I'll merge tomorrow/Thu after fixing the mouse wheel book.

I want to raise my general concerns about a fullscreen blur. Our blur
effect is not designed for these usecases and is most likely not able to
handle a High-DPI at 60 fps and that's what is needed when having e.g.
the launcher opened on top of a running video or anything else
triggering updates.

I had raised those concerns in the past with Homerun, too. There I did
not see it as much as a problem as it wasn't part of our default
offerings. But with something going into Plasma directly I need to point
out that the used infrastructure is not up to the task it's tried to be
used for.

Please reconsider whether you need a fullscreen blur or if whether it
can be done in a different way which doesn't require KWin to perform the
blurring at 60 fps.

Cheers
Martin