Plasma mobile and Fairphone

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Jul 26 21:17:42 UTC 2015

Am Sonntag, 26. Juli 2015, 15:18:55 schrieb Marco Martin:
> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 5:46 AM, Omar Radwan <toxemicsquire4 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> >> Hi, I heard about your project about Plasma Mobile, which is honestly one
> >> of the best things I've heard about. I'm really glad you guys made this
> >> project, because first of all, Android was too Google controlled, iOS,
> >> we'll, is iOS, Ubuntu is too far away from the regular Linux distro
> >> model, and Jolla is a closed source piece of garbage. This actually
> >> seems like a good idea that will appeal to most of us. So I have an
> >> idea, since most of the phones running Android right now (and every
> >> other mobile phone) is like super closed source with like the worst of
> >> blobs that will never be able to be replaced, I have an idea, maybe you
> >> guys should discuss with Fairphone‎, which I heard were trying to get
> >> more open hardware on their phone, which, coupled with your goal of a
> >> fully open software stack, could be for the better of things. Is there
> >> any thought about this at all?
> >
> > Hi Omar,
> > I also thought about Fairphone at some point, spoiler alert, I love
> > their work. It definitely makes sense, there's 2 main difficulties: we
> > lack the people who could approach them (Fairphone or any other
> > manufacturer, for that matter) with guaranties and I have the
> > impression it wouldn't be all that easy to adopt the hardware under
> > our software stack.
> >
> > On the other hand, I hope we all can pull these issues off, as a
> > community.
> >
> > The main question is: who is on board and how are you going to help?

> Most important, if anyone has any contact to anybody working there...
> brilliant and let's talk ;)

Well, I just contacted Fairphone support today with a forwarded mail from
here. I am not sure whether it makes it through to someone who can decide
about things, but well, its worth a try I´d say.

Alex and Omar are on Cc. I bet it will take at least till Monday, maybe longer
as in my last experiences Fairphone support was quite loaded. I own a
Fairphone one and I will bring it to Randa :).

If anyone has a more direct contact to Fairphone people that would be good of
course. And if anyone from Plasma mobile team wants to be in Cc on any further
conversation with them, if I get a reply, then…  drop me a note.

(I mentioned that I am not affiliated with Plasma mobile developer team and am
willing to hand things over anytime.)

Thanks,
--
Martin