Shutdown/Logout/Restart problems with KDE/Plasma5

Christian Butcher chrisb2244 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 00:43:19 UTC 2015

> To workaround as an immediate fix: killall -9 polkit-kde-authentication-
agent-1

This did indeed allow Plasma to logout/restart (didn't test shutdown yet
but see no reason for it to differ)

> Wow. Exactly this happened in my system too. I'm guessing it was
> because I used ninja to build plasma5 (using kdesrc-build). Changing
> the config to use make and doing a clean build fixed it for me.

This wasn't the case for me - my build used make from the start. I rebuilt
kauth, without parallel make, just in case, and moved to runlevel 3 to kill
x/kde/plasma before installing, but when I returned to Plasma there was no
change - I still need to use
    killall -9 polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
in order to logout etc.

Did I correctly identify from your message that kauth is the likely
problem, or should I have rebuilt something else?

Am I better off just writing a script to be executed after login to kill
the agent and allow it to restart (or for a different purpose, if I have
misunderstood?)?