KDE backward compatibility issue

Vasily Khoruzhick anarsoul at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 16:58:04 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 6:02 PM, Christoph Feck <cfeck at kde.org> wrote:
> On Friday 30 January 2015 11:41:42 Vasily Khoruzhick wrote:
>> I've read [1] and [2] and as far as I understand, dropping xembed
>> support was more political decision than technical difficulty.

Hi Christoph,

> I am sorry to say that you did understand wrong. It was mostly a
> technical decision. You are free to port the old code over if you
> believe it is an easy task.

> If you want to discuss further, please use the plasma-devel list,
> because kde-devel is actually the wrong list.

Well, to workaround the issue mentioned in [1] it's possible to
implement a plasma widget which reserves some space with
QtQuick and then creates borderless window for a legacy tray on top of
reserved space. Not a beautiful solution, but it's a way to go. And
it's possible to drop this widget as soon as all apps are ported to
Status Notifier.

[1] http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2014/03/system-tray-in-plasma-next/

Regards,
Vasily