RFC: Use Grid as default for KWin's Presnt windows effect

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Sat Jan 10 15:31:26 UTC 2015

On Friday 09 January 2015 17:16:56 Martin Klapetek wrote:
> Hey there,
>
> so I've been thinking about the Present Windows effect of KWin. The default
> setting for laying the windows out is currently "Natural", but to me that
> layout looks rather random as the windows are scattered all around with
> different sizes and for me personally it's always hard jumping with eyes
> all over the screen.
>
> Pic here: http://paste.opensuse.org/images/1f043922.png
>
> Switching to Regular grid makes the layout more uniform, better aligned,
> predictable and somewhat consistent. Given that Plasma5 is now all about
> pixel-perfection and streamlineing, this change imo fits into that.
>
> Pic here: http://paste.opensuse.org/images/ac9f8f90.png
>
> So I'd like to propose changing the default of Present Windows effect to
> the grid setting.
>
> What do you think?

-2

The reason for the natural layout is that the other layout sucks. That was
what we shipped with in 4.0 and 4.1. Let's learn from history and don't repeat
it .

I have asked for a rewrite for Present Windows/Desktop Grid for a long time.
It just needs someone coming up with a good design (thread on VDG forum exists
but died out) and implement it in QML. That's the way to do it, changing
defaults doesn't improve the situation.

Cheers
Martin