Qt 5 buildability

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Jan 9 09:14:09 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 9, 2015 at 10:59 AM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm not sure about which list is most appropriate for this, so i'm
> sending it here.
> It seems that changes from Qt 5.3 to 5.4 have introduced a series of
> hidden dependencies.
>
> QtWebEngine won't build unless you have nss-devel installed (which it
> complains about) but it also won't build unless libcap-devel is
> installed (which it doesn't complain about - you only find out when
> the compiler bails out on you).
>
> The real big issue here though is none of this is integrated with
> ./configure, and the failure in QtWebEngine is fatal. Can someone
> please raise this with the Qt developers and get them to fix their
> build system please?

Unfortunately the Qt developers have bigger problems than the above to fix.
Qt 5.4 as it exists in the 5.4 branch at the moment is unbuildable
(despite their blocking CI system).

Please see http://build.kde.org/view/FAILED/job/qt5_master_qt5/168/console
for why.
Could someone prod them into fixing their build?

This means that no KDE project can depend on Qt 5.4 at this time.

> Thanks,
> Ben

Thanks,
Ben