Plasma naming scheme

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Sat Jan 3 17:23:07 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,
while writing up a vision for Plasma interaction, the VDG noticed that it was
unclear exactly what terms to use when referring to Plasma Desktop
specifically, so we thought it would make sense to clarify this.

Therefore, we went ahead and drafted some communication guidelines I'd like to
present for discussion:

- When talking about the the Plasma technology generically, use only "Plasma",
omitting the "5" as that is just an iteration of Plasma.

- When talking about a particular version of the technology, but not a
specific shell, use "Plasma [version]" e.g. "Plasma 5.1".

- When talking about the a specific shell but not about a specific version,
use "Plasma [shell], e.g. "Plasma Desktop"

- When talking about a specific shell in a particular version, use  "Plasma
[version] [shell]" e.g. "Plasma 5.2 Desktop", "Plasma 5.4 Active"

For example in release announcement we'd talk about the Plasma 5.2 release and
when there are shell specific changes we could write "Plasma Desktop now has
addition X"

Does that make sense to everyone? And if so: Where should we publish it and
where should we announce it?

Cheers,
Thomas