Get panel list and hidding them via C++ module

Evgeniy Alekseev darkarcanis at mail.ru
Mon Feb 9 19:47:20 UTC 2015

Hi Sebastian,

On Monday 09 February 2015 13:59:21 Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> Not possible, the QtQuick code's access to the C++ bits (Applet, Containment
> is now very limited by design).
> No, the separation between model (Plasma::Applet, Plasma::Containment, etc.)
> and the views (implemented in QtQuick) is deeper in Plasma 5, that's partly
> a conscious design decision, and partly mandated by moving everything to
> QtQuick.

Ok, thank you.

> That's not possible in Plasma 5, and it's a conscious design decision.
> Applets are not supposed to meddle with other applets, they're
> self-contained outbound, and managed by the surrounding containment.

I've expected something like this, thanks for explanation.

> Let's take a step back, though. What do you actually want to achieve? Maybe
> there is a way to make that possible within the design of Plasma.
>
> Have you looked at desktop scripting to achieve what you are looking for?

There is an applet on which I'm working now (rather, on porting) which
provides some concepts from minimalistic WMs (predominantly tiling ones) which
besides the basic functions (simply control by desktops) was able to hide
selected panels by hotkey pressing. I.e. atm this action should look like such
applet [1].

As long as I don't bond to any prefered realization, it may be implemented by
any reasonable way, e.g. Dbus calls, library functions (but calling external
application/script is an undesirable way of course).

1. http://kde-look.org/content/show.php/Panel+Toggle?content=149654
--
Sincerely yours,
Evgeniy Alekseev