Noto fonts screw my system, please stop forcing fonts upon me!

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Dec 17 22:43:01 UTC 2015

On 12/17/2015 11:09 PM, Mark Gaiser wrote:
> What you say might be true and might be the goal of that font.
> But it is unusable for me at this moment and i'm not going to make bug
> reports about that.
>
> It is the google font (noto) with the google browser (chromium) that
> mainly screws things up completely.
>
> It's either heavily bugged or not ready to be used.
> Either case should be sufficient reason to not use it in Plasma 5.

"I'm seeing something on my system I don't like. This must
mean this assessment holds true for everyone and something is
broken on every system, and the people who made the change must
be thoughtless. This is cause to side-step the default process
that might allow them to handle my feedback efficiently along-
side other concerns; after all, it's now clearly up to them
to accomodate me, including bearing my justified agitation."

There's a lot of assumptions (engineering, community dynamics,
etc.) baked into this that are dubious; I guess I'm used to a
different approach from someone with a dev account.

> You are wrong.
> The line height might be what you said, but what you see isn't a font
> rendered by chrome. The link i gave earlier
> (https://www.google.com/get/noto/#sans-lgc) shows the fonts rendered in
> a SVG image. The css line height has nothing to do with that. So what
> you see in that image is how it will look if you use that font. And that
> is just completely useless for desktop usage. It's fine to use that font
> in for example designs made in gimp or photoshop.. But not as desktop font!

Much like CSS, the SVG format allows control over line height
and even explicit positioning of individual glyphs converted
to paths. That it's an SVG doesn't tell us what line height
its author set when laying out the sample text.

Anyhoo, here's Noto Sans 9pt over 96dpi in a QTextArea:

http://i.imgur.com/lPkumWi.png

Google Chrome, Noto Sans 9pt over 96dpi, no line-height
set:

http://i.imgur.com/LdHFQ3v.png

Cheers,
Eike