Evolving Appdash

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 16:00:21 UTC 2015

On Wed, Dec 16, 2015 at 3:12 AM, Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin at kde.org>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 15, 2015 6:48:32 PM CET Eike Hein wrote:
> > The VDG has offered to join in with some cool mockups to maxi-
> > mize potential.
>
> it would be cool if the VDG could also look into a non-blur variant for the
> appdash. I'm still very concerned about the full screen blur as the KWin
> effect is not designed for this [1] and with increasing screen sizes the
> problem that KWin is not designed for this becomes more and more a problem.
>
> Also the appdash is almost unusable without a blur effect (which for
> example
> happens with GLES, XRender and QPainter backends).

How about generating blurred wallpaper at some point, storing it
and then using that as background? Blurrin a 20MPx (5472x3648)
image here with gaussian blur in gimp takes about 5 seconds,
1920x1280 then takes less than 3 seconds. I'm not sure how well
is gimp's blurring optimized and/or gpu powered, but 3 seconds
really doesn't sound bad for one-time generation in the background.

Of course there are different activities and different wallpapers
but still could be solved.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer